Thursday, November 5, 2009

First Service Project



For our first service project, all of Americorps NCCC helped at a local Denver Elementary school. Luckily there were a ton of us there because the sponser had a lot for us to do. The first and most important was to put in a mile long gravel track for the students. The school also asigned eighth graders to each group so they could help out too. My team was put to work on a flower bed that needed to be torn out, while the other beds needed the rocks removed in order to plant new plants. We got to use sledge hammers, crowbars, and shovels. It was fulfilling to successfully knock out the wall with my teamates. It was also a great stress reliever to swing the sledge hammer into the wall! Once we finished our specific project, all the corps members gathered to finish the mile track. With the students and members, we started an assembly line passing buckets of gravel to dump onto the track. Other members were taking wheelbarrows across the field. It was pretty tiring, but the final result was the best feeling I could ask for. We walked through the schools cafeteria and it erupted into applause. The children were so thankful for our work that day, as well as the staff. It was a very satisfying feeling to complete that project. This is exactly what I came to Americorps to experience and so far it's the best decision I've made.







In Americorps I have to complete 80 hours of independent service hours. (ISP) I didn't really know what that consisted of, but quickly caught on. My first volunteer project was deconstructing an old house. My second ISP going to the Habitat for Humanity House organizing their store. We would have families load up their vehicles with the purchase they had made that day. Some examples would be dishwashers, dryers, refrigerators, and washing machines. The main lady there loved our group and invited us to come help with the opening of their new Habitat House. The three girls in the picture are Tabitha, Sarah, and Alyssa. They had a themed room that each showed off a different part of the House. My favorite room was one that visually showed how to make your house for EcoFriendly. It had a very good presentation that showed how a lot of families could save tons of money. My favorite ISP so far was on Halloween. First I went to the Boys and Girls Club. This organization helps get kids off the street and into a save environment. It also helps kids starting at 14 years old setting up their college portfolios. I thought that was really amazing because I know how hard it was to apply for college and know what to fill out. This club really gives kids a head start at life or even a second chance at life. They have an indoor gym for basketball, an indoor soccer program, and football. They want these kids to have the same opportunities as everyone else. Another great aspect to this program is that kids can join for only $1 for a year. The Denver Broncos donate money each year and are the main supporters to this club. After working there, I went to help at the Children's Museum. This was definately my favorite becasue I was able to be around little kids and constumes all day. The museum had all kinds of activities set up outside and tons more inside. I helped with a little bowling station with plastic pins and then helped put little fire truck tattoos. The festival ended at 8pm and I stayed till 9 cleaning up. We had a lot of helpers so it went by fast. That was a 12 hour day so I'm up to 26 ISP hours.


For a team building day they took us to an indoor rock climing place. I was very excited because I've never dont it before. It was so much fun! They had all different types of levels for you to try. I went around to most of the areas and fell in love with it. Luckily there are a few people in the Sun Unit (my unit) that go rock climbing regularly. We've set up to go this Sunday, so hopefully it gets passed. I loved doing it because it was a good workout, but arm pump is no fun haha. We have a club here at campus called O.A.K. Outdoor activities klub. Every Sunday we try to get something fun planned. It's up to us to come up with ideas, so hopefully I can get a group set up for kayaking.


No comments:

Post a Comment