Sunday, October 25, 2009

Campus








Colorado is beautiful! Our campus is called the Colorado Heights University. There are other students who use the campus also. The mountains are gorgeous and right behind the dorms. It's a pretty site to wake up to every morning. In the distance you can see the higher mountains covered in snow. We have a pack of coyotes in the field behind the cafeteria and last night i was woken up by them. They can get pretty loud. I'm starting to get used to the air here. Yesterday I played basketball with Traci on my floor and two team leaders. I got pretty winded fast because the air is so thin and that was the most activity I've done so far. We have sports clubs set up and outdoor clubs. Hopefully we'll get some basketball games started. The outdoor club also sounds pretty cool. It's up to the members to decide what we want to do. Some ideas were skiiing, kayaking, camping, and hiking. I'm pretty excited to do some trips on our weekends.






Last week I went on my first project to the Habitat for Humanity House. I had no idea what to expect, but it turned out to be an awesome day. We went to their old Habitat House and carried out anything that was left over. Some stuff included old file cabinets and other junk. After doing that for a couple hours the lady with us, Brite, asked if we wanted to go work on a house nearby salvaging the cabinets in the kitchen. We successfully got them out and loaded into the truck to go back to the Habitat warehouse. Next me and another member worked on getting the dishwasher out. Luckily I had watched dad out ours in at home so I kind of knew what I was doing. We had to unscrew all the piping and bolts, and smash up the tile holding it down. After all that it easily slid out. It was a good feelings to have it come out without any damage and in good working order still. After that we took a saw and tried to cut out part of a cabinet holding the stove in, but the blade was bent and the bolts to the stove were stripped so unforunately that stayed at the house.




After a long week Saturaday had finally come. On October 17th, a bunch of us decided to take our first trip into downtown Denver. I'm not used to using public transportation, but right down from campus we took the bus. We would transfer from the bus to the lightrail, which would drop us off right at the 16th street mall. It's a lot like the commons in Ithaca. We walked around to all the stores and got to know the area a little bit better. We decided to eat at a place called tokio joes and sat out on the patio outside. That day the weather was sunny and about 75 degrees, not too bad for October! A few more members came down later that day and I met up with them and didn't come home until 8pm that night.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! 75 degrees??? Don't get too used to Colorado...you still need to come back to New York! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are doing good Val! I agree with your sister, you do need to come back to New York! It just isn't the same without you!

    ReplyDelete